On 15 July Dr Christian Mersmann, Managing Director of the Global Mechanism and Dr Pedro Ferreira, Director General of the Tropical Agricultural Research and Higher Education Center (CATIE), based in Turrialba, Costa Rica, signed a Technical Cooperation Agreement supporting the UNCCD implementation process in Meso-America.
This Agreement aims to improve the quality of information on the status of natural resources in this region and strengthen institutional, governmental and private sector capacities to combat desertification and drought.
A key element of the Agreement is the promotion of sustainable land management (SLM) by:
- forging strategic alliances with existing networks of institutional partners in the region;
- contributing to national and regional dialogue process;
- exploring the use of innovative funding mechanisms;
- integrating UNCCD issues into political, pragmatic and budget frameworks; and
- mobilizing technical and financial resources for this purpose.